Friday, June 2
I Finally Read It

I've just finished reading the much-hyped DaVinci Code (one of the last ones to do so, I know). I can see why this book has garnered so much media attention and concern from the Church's point of view. I found it very entertaining because of how real people, places and historical facts were incorporated into the plot line. Plot-line people ... this is a fictional book!

It's a scary notion when society takes the printed word at face value. Even scarier is that this book is being used as an educational tool. Sure, there are many interesting and factual excerpts within the chapters that anyone can access via the Internet to further their knowledge on that subject, but it still doesn't make this particular story true. It's a fantasized conspiracy theory brought to life by the imagination of a writer for the purpose of entertaining you as the reader. I don't know what's worse: The inability for some to distinguish the difference between fact and fiction or Hollywood being a classroom where many choose to receive their education.

Take for example the negative portrayal of
Opus Dei:
Most people have never heard of this Catholic Institution, yet most who have read the book and or have seen the movie will believe that all of it's members are somewhat insanely fanatical and that the Catholic Church has qualities resembling organized crime more than that of spiritual leadership. This is but one of the many things that is very wrong with our society - we are so quick and eager to categorize and judge without knowledge or understanding.

You can't base any one civilization, nation, organization, race or species on the actions of one or a few or more ...
there will always be those who deviate.
Not to mention that you can't base something real on something made up!




2 Comments:

Blogger smr said...

you said: "It's a scary notion when society takes the printed word at face value."

Then what about the Bible? As a writer, I know how easy it is to get carried away in the writing process; our characters become real to us as we write about them and their "lives." Let's not even think about the "moral of the story" that kicks in, fiction or non-fiction. Born and raised a Catholic, I am now agnostic and tend to accept the Biblical stories as just that -- stories. And who knows about the translation and interpretation process. "Virgin birth" is explained culturally in a vastly different way than the American Catholic church taught me in Catechism.

You made an interesting quotable quote, and too true not to invoke concern:

"I don't know what's worse: The inability for some to distinguish the difference between fact and fiction or Hollywood being a classroom where many choose to receive their education."

Oh, and just how accurate ARE our history books? Countless times I've found myself thinking, "If walls could talk..."

Interesting blog topic. I have the book (son is reading it at present), but have not read it or seen the movie yet.

comment disclaimer: this comment is not meant to be offensive in any way, and I humbly apologize if it has seemed so. You have the ultimate power to delete it. :^)

Again, interesting blog.

Blogger Sherry said...

When I made that comment about The Printed Word I was referring to that book. Sorry, I just babble sometimes, thinking that whoever is listening or reading will understand my thoughts.

Thanks for the comment though!

I agree ... what is accurate? If history has taught us anything - it's taught us that it is a one-sided story told by the winners of the moment.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer