Tuesday, November 14
Happy Birthday!

Joyeux Anniversaire!
Claude Monet 11/14/1840 - 12/05/1926

What is Art? Art is subjective. What is subjective?
Subjective is:

  • Existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought.
  • Pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.
  • Placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

That being said, I'd like to share with you, in honor of Claude Monet's birthday, a painting that, for me, represents my ideal place of tranquility. It is called The Garden Path at Giverny, which was his actual home.
It was here that he created his much celebrated water-garden,
which served as the theme for the series of paintings on Water-Lillies that dominated his work.





7 Comments:

Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

What I love about Monet is that the beauty of his work comes out of a sort of artistic chaos. If you inspect it closely, everything is uncertain, shaky, almost schizophrenic. There are no defined edges; everything flows into everything else. Far enough back, and the shapes and colors reveal a beautiful, poetic image. In that way, he represents people as they are inside and as they are to the outer appearances of the world.

I've never seen this painting before, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Monet, I have 5 prints of his in my babies room, they are calming and pretty, and bring an aire of whimsy to the room. Ugh, I sound like Martha Stewart there, but I love the impressionism period. I have seen his work up close when The Phoenix Museum of Art had the big Monet exhibit and also at the Louvre- very inspiring and beautiful work...

This was a great post to read at the end of the day (or beginning or middle, but who's counting) and the painting is phenomenal.

Love the new site design as well.

Blogger Tumuli said...

Monet's art is divine. I recently saw several portraits at the Detroit Institute of Arts that feature the vibrant colors and flowing forms characteristic of much of his work. Always a beauty to behold.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tranguility, yes. And most of all, it looks warm. Say, 75 degrees.

Did you know that I once wrote a screenplay called The Garden?

Have a nice day.

Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

Dig the new template, by the way. And the stylish jacket in the avatar.

Blogger Sherry said...


SamuraiFrog: I'm glad that I was able to share something new with you.

Shroom-Monkey: You're too sexy to ever sound like Martha Stewart.

I'm jealous, you've been to the Louvre.

2 Dollar Productions: Glad that you liked and enjoyed the painting.

Tumuli: His work is beautiful. And isn't it great how he kept painting even though he was near blind?

Matt: It looks perfect to me, and 75 degrees sounds perfect, so I'll say that it fits.

You never told me, but since you love to write, I'm not surprised.

SamuraiFrog: Thanks for the compliments.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer