Friday, October 27
Halloween Countdown - 5

Fun Facts

Halloween traditions of trick-or-treating were brought to America in the 1840s by Irish escaping the Great Potato Famine. The Irish Potato Famine (1845-50) prompted over 700,000 people to immigrate to the Americas. On Halloween, Irish peasants begged the rich for food and played practical jokes on those who refused. To avoid being tricked, the rich handed out cookies, candies, and fruit. A practice that turned into our present day trick-or-treating.

Orange and black became Halloween colors because orange is associated with harvests and black is associated with death.

Did you know - There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange? Hard to believe for such an important color?
The same is true for the colors purple and silver. But, who cares about silver and purple...they are not pumpkin colors!

The biggest pumpkin in the world tipped the scales at a whopping 1,446 pounds. This gigantic gourd was weighed in October 2004 at a pumpkin festival in Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada.



Candy corn, anyone? More than 35 million pounds of candy corn will be produced this year, an estimated $1.93 billion in candy sales. That equates to nearly 9 billion pieces! Enough to circle the moon nearly four times if laid end-to-end.

Tootsie Rolls were the first wrapped penny candy in America.

What's the most popular Halloween candy?
Snickers tops the list for trick-or-treaters.

Halloween is the sweetest holiday of the year, beating out Easter, Valentine's Day, and Christmas. In fact, one quarter of all the candy sold each year is purchased between September 15 and November 10.

Halloween is second only to Christmas in spending. U.S. consumers spend as much as $1.5 billion on costumes each year, and more than $2.5 billion on other Halloween paraphernalia, such as decorations and crafts. More than $100 million is spent online.

Halloween is the 8th largest card-sending occasion.
There are over 28 million Halloween cards sent each year!



And a little Ha-Ha:
You might be a Redneck if
the Halloween pumpkin on your front porch has more teeth than your spouse.



10 Comments:

That amount of candy corn produced is too horrible to ponder the meaning of as I have about 3 pieces every year and that is more than enough for me.

And I can't do the huckleberry post as secret or not, I would know the sordid truth.

Blogger Matt said...

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the night thinking about words that rhyme with orange, purple and silver. If not in English, maybe in another language!

Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

Well, the word "nurple" rhymes with "purple," of course. EVERYONE knows that, Sherry!

And that candy corn thing is a lie. Haven't you ever eaten it? No, no one does! All the candy corn in America was produced in 1952, and sits in a warehouse until September. Then it just gets moved around for a while until next year.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love candy corn- and always treat myself to a pound or two every Halloween. I eat sooo much of those lil fuckers that I get sick and can't stand the sight of them till the next Halloween. And then I pass by them in the store salivating, mmmmmmm candy corn.....

thank goodness for those silly Irish giving us such a fun cool holiday!!!!


killer my word id is Skunk- perfectly spelled out- how often does that happen???

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love candy corn- and always treat myself to a pound or two every Halloween. I eat sooo much of those lil fuckers that I get sick and can't stand the sight of them till the next Halloween. And then I pass by them in the store salivating, mmmmmmm candy corn.....

thank goodness for those silly Irish giving us such a fun cool holiday!!!!


killer my word id is Skunk- perfectly spelled out- how often does that happen???

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love candy corn- and always treat myself to a pound or two every Halloween. I eat sooo much of those lil fuckers that I get sick and can't stand the sight of them till the next Halloween. And then I pass by them in the store salivating, mmmmmmm candy corn.....

thank goodness for those silly Irish giving us such a fun cool holiday!!!!


killer my word id is Skunk- perfectly spelled out- how often does that happen???

Blogger Angie Pansey said...

Mmmm....Tootsie Rolls, I can eat a bag of those. Not a big fan of Candy Corn, although it smells really nice. It always smells like cupcake icing to me.

I like your Halloween avatar! Spooktacular Sherrylicious!

Blogger Angie Pansey said...

Have an excellent weekend, babe!

xoxoxoxo

Blogger Sherry said...


2 Dollar Productions: That is a lot of candy isn't it? I guess that's why Dentists get paid the big bucks ... all of the sugar-holics keep them in business.

Man With The Fun: Let me know if you come up with a rhyme in your language.
:-)

SamuraiFrog: All right Mr. Smarty Pants - (who is getting a spanking later on) the word nurple IS NOT in the dictionary.

Shroom-Monkey: Oooh ... 3 x's the Monkey! I'm loving it. Enjoy your candy corn, and eat some for me.

Angela: Candy corn DOES smell like that.

I hope that you've had a great weekend yourself love.

*Jumping up and down because my Ang is back*

Blogger Angie Pansey said...

All hail the Great Pumpkin, O'Charlie Brown!!!

Sherry RULES!!! xoxoxo

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer