Monday, June 11
Movie Moment Monday

Today’s movie moment is brought to you by:
Al Pacino and Robert De Niro from Heat.
The ultimate game of cops and robbers
and an underlying, unspoken respect.




How you doing?
What do you say I buy you a cup a coffee?

Yeah, sure. Lets go.

Follow me.



Seven years in Folsom. In the hole for three. McNeil before that.
McNeil as tough as they say?

You looking to become a penologist?

You looking to go back?
You know I chased down some crews. Guys just looking to fuck up, get busted back.
That you?

You must’ve worked some dipshit crews.

I worked all kinds.

You see me doing liquor store holdup with a “Born to Lose” tattoo on my chest?

No, I do not.

Right.
I am never going back.

Then don’t take down scores.

I do what I do best.
I take scores. You do what you do best:
Try to stop guys like me.

So you never wanted a regular type life?

What the fuck is that? The barbecues and ball games?

Yeah.

This regular type life like your life?

My life? No, my life…
No, my life’s a disaster zone
I got a stepdaughter so fucked up…
…because her real father is this large-type asshole.
I got a wife.
We’re passing each other on the down slope of a marriage. My third.
Because I spend all my time chasing guys like you around the block. That’s my life.

Guy told me one time:
“Don’t let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.”
Now, if you’re on and me and you got to move when I move…
…how do you expect to keep a marriage?

Well that’s an interesting point.
What are you, a monk?

I have a woman.

What do you tell her?

I tell her I’m a salesman.

So then, if you spot me coming around that corner…
…you just gonna walk out on this woman?
Not say good-bye?

That’s the discipline.

That’s pretty vacant.

Yeah. It is what it is.
It’s that, or we both better go do something else, pal.

I don’t know how to do anything else.

Neither do I.

I don’t much want to either.

Neither do I.

You know, I have this, uh, recurring dream.
I’m sitting at this big banquet table and…
…all the victims of all the murders I ever worked are sitting at this table…
…and they’re staring at me with these black eyeballs…
…because they got eight-ball hemorrhages from the head wounds.
And there they are, these big balloon people…
…because I found them two weeks after they’d been under the bed.
The neighbors reported the smell…
…and there they are…
…all of them just sitting there.

What do they say?

Nothing.

No talk?

They just…
They don’t have anything to say.
We just look at each other.
They look at me…
…and that’s it. That’s the dream.

I have one where I’m drowning.
And I gotta wake myself up and start breathing or I’ll die in my sleep.

You know what that’s about?

Yeah.
Having enough time.

Enough time…
…to do what you want to do.

That’s right.

You doing it now?

No, not yet.

You know, we’re sitting here…
…you and I like a couple of regular fellas.
You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do.
And now that we’ve been face to face…
…if I’m there and I gotta put you away…
…I won’t like it.
But, I’ll tell ya…
…if it’s between you…
…and some poor bastard whose wife you’re gonna turn into a widow…
…brother…
…you are going down.

There’s a flip side to that coin.
What if you do got me boxed in…
…and I gotta put you down?
Because no matter what…
…you will not get in my way.
We’ve been face to face, yeah.
But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Maybe that’s the way it’ll be.
Or…
…who knows?

Or maybe we’ll never see each other again.



2 Comments:

These was such an anticipated scene for these two as they had never acted against each other before, and it delivered the goods.

I just read that they are going to re-team for some project in the future. That being said, I'd bet even money that no scene in the next one will rival the diner scene in "Heat."

Blogger Sherry said...

It would be interesting to see the two of them together again, but you're right, there's no topping this scene.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer