Monday, November 27
Happy Birthday

November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970

When the power of love overcomes the love of power ...
the world will know peace

Jimi Hendrix, born Johnny Allen Hendrix at 10:15 a.m. on November 27, 1942, at Seattle's King County Hospital, was later renamed James Marshall by his father, James "Al" Hendrix. Young Jimmy took an interest in music, drawing influence from virtually every major artist at the time, including B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Holly, and Robert Johnson. Entirely self-taught, Jimmy's inability to read music made him concentrate even harder on the music he heard.

Widely recognized as one of the most creative and influential musicians of the 20th century, Jimi Hendrix pioneered the explosive possibilities of the electric guitar. Hendrix's innovative style of combining fuzz, feedback and controlled distortion created a new musical form. Because he was unable to read or write music, it is nothing short of remarkable that Jimi Hendrix's meteoric rise in music took place in just four short years. His musical language continues to influence a host of modern musicians.

When I was a little boy, I believed that if you put a tooth under your pillow, a fairy would come in the night and take away the tooth and leave a dime. Now, I believe in myself more than anything. And, I suppose in a way, that's also believing in God. If there is a God and He made you, then if you believe in yourself, you're also believing in Him. So I think everybody should believe in himself. That doesn't mean you've got to believe in heaven and hell and all that stuff. But it does mean that what you are and what you do is your religion. I can't express myself in easy conversation - the words just don't come out right. But when I get up on stage - well, that's my whole life. That's my religion. My music is electric, electric church music, if by 'church' you mean religion.

I am electric religion.
~ London 1969




9 Comments:

Great post, quote & painting.

That's a lot of influence in a short amount of time.

Blogger SamuraiFrog said...

One of the few real religious institutions in rock 'n' roll.

Blogger Sherry said...

2 Dollar Productions: That is why he is and remains a musical genius.

SamuraiFrog: Hallelujah and Amen!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't listened much to his music and I don't know much about him, but I really like that quote at the top.

But then again, who wouldn't like that quote? Living up to it is a different story, though.

I do what I can and hope that my efforts will make a difference someday, somehow.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H8S44ulyNks

Blogger Sherry said...

Matt: He is an American Institution, but his influences can be heard everywhere.

Thanks for the link.

Blogger Tumuli said...

He is more than worthy of worship. A deity, dynamic and divine.

Blogger Sherry said...


Dynamic and Divine.
Great words.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Purple Haze all the way!
Jimi is awesome.

Blogger Sherry said...


Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just dont seem the same
Actin funny, but I dont know why
'scuse me while I kiss the sky!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer