Thursday, June 14
Happy Flag Day

I am the Flag
by Ruth Apperson Rous





  • I am the flag of the United States of America.


  • I was born on June 14, 1777, in Philadelphia.


  • There the Continental Congress adopted my stars and stripes as the national flag.


  • My thirteen stripes alternating red and white, with a union of thirteen white stars in a field of blue, represented a new constellation, a new nation dedicated to the personal and religious liberty of mankind.


  • Today fifty stars signal from my union, one for each of the fifty sovereign states in the greatest constitutional republic the world has ever known.


  • My colors symbolize the patriotic ideals and spiritual qualities of the citizens of my country.


  • My red stripes proclaim the fearless courage and integrity of American men and boys and the self-sacrifice and devotion of American mothers and daughters.


  • My white stripes stand for liberty and equality for all.


  • My blue is the blue of heaven, loyalty, and faith.


  • I represent these eternal principles: liberty, justice, and humanity.


  • I embody American freedom: freedom of speech, religion, assembly, the press, and the sanctity of the home.


  • I typify that indomitable spirit of determination brought to my land by Christopher Columbus and by all my forefathers - the Pilgrims, Puritans, settlers at James town and Plymouth.


  • I am as old as my nation.
    I am a living symbol of my nation's law: the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights.


  • I voice Abraham Lincoln's philosophy: "A government of the people, by the people,for the people."


  • I stand guard over my nation's schools, the seedbed of good citizenship and true patriotism.


  • I am displayed in every schoolroom throughout my nation; every schoolyard has a flag pole for my display.


  • Daily thousands upon thousands of boys and girls pledge their allegiance to me and my country.


  • I have my own law—Public Law 829, "The Flag Code" - which definitely states my correct use and display for all occasions and situations.


  • I have my special day, Flag Day. June 14 is set aside to honor my birth.


  • Americans, I am the sacred emblem of your country. I symbolize your birthright, your heritage of liberty purchased with blood and sorrow.


  • I am your title deed of freedom, which is yours to enjoy and hold in trust for posterity.


  • If you fail to keep this sacred trust inviolate, if I am nullified and destroyed, you and your children will become slaves to dictators and despots.


  • Eternal vigilance is your price of freedom.


  • As you see me silhouetted against the peaceful skies of my country, remind yourself that I am the flag of your country, that I stand for what you are - no more, no less.


  • Guard me well, lest your freedom perish from the earth.


  • Dedicate your lives to those principles for which I stand: "One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."


  • I was created in freedom. I made my first appearance in a battle for human liberty.


  • God grant that I may spend eternity in my "land of the free and the home of the brave" and that I shall ever be known as "Old Glory," the flag of the United States of America.



2 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

That... was... beautiful.

Blogger Sherry said...

Yes, it was.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer